Language confidence and progression through mixed code learning
Start every journey from where you are now
Language. We all have it, we all do it. We transmit our ideas through space and time, from one mind to another, through the magical processes of spoken and written word.
As infants we learned our first languages from a basis of nothing, and we learned fast. This is a fascinating process, and for adult language learners it is a process worth emulating, but it is important to remember two things.
- We are not starting from nothing. For a start, we have ideas, understanding, the ability to make sounds and A LOT of vocabulary in common with Spanish.
- Language has just one function, and it is exciting and motivating: we use language to communicate.
The Spanglish Fantastico project is a practical study in language learning. The premise is that:
- using a mixture of the languages maximises the exposure beginners can get to Spanish that they can understand;
- that sentences that are partially in Spanish are better learning opportunities than sentences that are wholly en inglés;
- that meaningful communication is engaging, and that the partial use of inglés gives learners access to a wider range of meaningful communication.
The aims of this project are to find out if using mixed code is an effective way to promote fast acquisition of Spanish, and to find out if the use of Spanglish to teach Spanish helps less confident learners to use Spanish to communicate in speech and writing. If the evidence supports Spanglish as an effective teaching and learning tool, the next goal is to promote this as a pedagogical method for teachers who are in a position to deliver it. Everyone is welcome to participate in this project whether you are a learner, a tutor, a mentor, or a linguistics academic.
The services on offer include:
- Personal, private lessons
- Full video course, 100 Days of Spanish
- Daily vocabulary lessons from the Daily Word Builder with Dan Hall
Lessons can be delivered though WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger for £25 per hour. Book yours today.
Get in touch with me, firstname.lastname@example.org for group membership that gives you news, freebies and discounts
Learning a language is like going on a journey to explore a new world and a new you.
Use the language you already have (English) to fill the gaps in your new language (Spanish) so you can communicate complete messages.
What other people say.
Spanglish Fantastico y Ruth, mas mejor cada dia. OMG I am addicted. Useful and so little the estres! Mi encanta, es fantastico.Jhon Adams, YouTube Subscriber
Just to let you know that although I’m just a little further forward in my Spanish learning journey I do enjoy your videos and learn something from them everyday. Thank youTerry Hildred, 100 Days of Spanish Facebook group
Best book to learn Spanish without stress. I love it. its easy to learn using this method. Five Stars. I would recommend this book to anyone learning SpanishMicheal, Amazon reviewer
I’m in love with your short lessons for the Daily Word Builder.Dan Hall, Author of My Complete Language Learning Journal
Excelente video, gracias, – nunca olvidaré este video, me gusta mucho. Acabo de comprar el libro, y encontrarlo excelente también. (Day 74, remembering Spanish words)Phil Hodgson, YouTube Subscriber
In 1998 I started teaching English as a foreign language. Having lived in Barcelona and Lima, Perú, I started to teach Spanish in 2009.
Get In Touch
Support Level 1
Support Level 2
Support Level 3
Spanglish Fantástico recommends …
The Language Tutor on YouTube for great Spanish Grammar Lessons. Subscribe here.
My Complete Spanish Language Learning Journal to track your progress. Buy it here.